Wayne Weekly “Chipmunk Games”
Written by Teddy on September 29, 2015
Living in the Finger Lakes has some great advantages. One of the best benefits is enjoying the great outdoors during the fall season.
My wife Evie and I were out and about this past week-end helping my daughter Janelle with her life’s quandaries. As we drove up a winding rural road that cut through a wooded area and a ravine to one side, out from the undergrowth and into our vehicles path ran a chipmunk. That creature was fast and we were able to avoid an unpleasant situation, especially for the pint-sized scamper. We thought little of the encounter and drove on.
Later on that day we traveled the same route and lo and behold, a repeat performance. Was it the same rascal we met before? Evie and I chuckled a bit and drove on.
After picking up an order for Janelle at the local pizza shop, my wife and I headed back…yes on the same road where our chipmunk friend made the mad dash across our path. Approaching the same section of road, we were greeted by the same scenario once more. As we approached the area, this creature darted out once more in front of the car and across to the “greener grass”. Somewhat amazed, Evie and I laughed and began fabricating stories about how this scalawag was playing a game, taunting us and daring to cross in front of a one ton behemoth rolling through his or her turf.
Afterwards Evie likened the critters daring escapade to how sometimes we as believers have taken chances with sinful choices, just hoping to dodge the bullet, or as our little friend did, took a dangerous chance for the mere thrill of it all. Perhaps in our weak moments the temptation may overtake us, God forbid. We find ourselves in a cat and mouse game, maybe hoping to escape just at the brink of sin.
God instructs us to avoid sin. He tells us to:
- ‘flee from youthful lusts” ( 2 Timothy 2:22)
- avoid bad companions, “bad company corrupts good morals” (1 Corinthians 15:33),
- “watch over our hearts with all diligence” (Proverbs 4:23),
- “make no provision for the flesh in regards to its lusts” (Romans 13:14)
- “flee from idolatry” (1 Corinthians 10:14)
- “abstain from every form of evil” (1 Thessalonians 5:22)
- “lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us” (Hebrews 12:1)
The Lord encourages us to rather:
- “confess and forsake sin” (Proverbs 28:13)
- “put on the Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 13:14)
- “pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace” (2 Timothy 2:22)
- “run with endurance the race that is set before us” (Hebrews 12:1)
- “walk by the Spirit” (Galatians 5:16)
- “stand fast in the faith” (1 Corinthians 15:16)
Let’s not be chipmunks seemingly playing with fire. That obstacle coming at you may be traveling faster than you anticipate!